First of all TGIF yall! It’s rainy and dank in DC but it’s Frye-day! Frye-day! Gotta get down on Frye-day!
So…Since I have about 3 more months of total adult freedom before I head back to school, I’ve been thinking about some things I wanna do this summer- you know I’m tryina yolo it up! I had made a list but didn’t save it in my phone (womp!) so I’ll try to recall it as best as possible…
1. Twerk Team! Girl’s Night Out. Xpose Fitness Studio. Nuff Said. Already in the making…
2. Day trip to NYC: Perhaps to see a Broadway musical. Sister Act maybe or A Streetcar Named Desire. Canal St is a definite must and I have to see my fav NYC Opera singer while I’m there 😉 Megabus!
3. Gun Range: Monday’s is ladie’s night 😉 I haven’t been probably in a year or more and I miss it. This may become a ritual for me. I would never get a gun of my own tho yall- the doll has a mean temper! I don’t get mad often, but when I do, just beware. It’s like I literally go from Dr. Bruce Banner to the Hulk. It quickly passes tho. But yeah, I’d shoot somebody. 0_0
4. The Legend…or a similar place with similar entertainment. Those of you who know about this place already know! But for those of you who don’t yeah it’s a stripper show *kanye shrug* #judgemeh!
5. Vacay: I am in desperate need of a vacay yall! Somewhere tropical with a beach preferably. But even if its domestic I just wanna relax relate release before I start this Ph.D. grind.
6. Pay off Audrey II; done! #winning! But I do need to be good to her and buy her some new shoes (tires) and make sure I keep taking her in for her check ups so she wont quit on me lol.
7. Consolidate! I need to remove some stuff outta my apartment! Starting with my clothes and shoes! Ok I know, but yeah serious up this time. This goes for people too tho 0_0
8. Work on my passion project. I need to solidify the concept for the project I’ve been working on. Mostly in my head, but yall will see 😉
9. Culture. I need to take advantage of this good DC culture scene. There are so many events that I see that I’m always like “man I wanna/shoulda go/went to that”. So, as much as I’m able, at least twice a month, I’m going to get myself out the house and go to a free concert at the Kennedy Center or on the National Mall or go to a lecture series at one of the Smithsonian’s. Oooh! And I wanna go to the shoe museum in NYC! That’s definitely on there!
10. Me Time: I need to really get back to myself yall. I know I’m about to immerse myself into my studies, but I can’t afford to completely let the other aspects of my life go. What that means is that I need to develop good and healthy habits now to ensure that I continue to take time out for myself once I begin this journey: physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I’m off go a good start, but consistency is key here.
So watch me werk!
So that’s all I’ll say for now. Anything else yall can think of?
Also, I’m going to remain consistent with this blog. I’m going to try and make something that I’ve never made before maybe once or twice a month. Or maybe I’ll take like requests from people, Idk. What yall think???
But I’ve been aiming to make this like all week but just haven’t gotten around to it. So when I cook it this weekend I’ll post pics.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in chunks
- 2 diced andouille sausages
- 1/2 chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 chopped green pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c chopped celery
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce
- 3 c chicken stock
- 1 cup rice (I’m using brown rice, just cuz its what I have)
- salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl, mix the shrimp and chicken with the cayenne pepper, oregano, theym, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder together.
Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottom pan (or cast iron skillet) on medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, green pepper, celery and garlic. Cook for about 3 mins. Be sure to add the garlic last so as to not burn it. Add the tomatoes, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and chicken stock and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer and add the rice. Once the rice starts to get done, about 10-15 mins, add the chicken and shrimp and andouille sausage. Cover and cook until the meat is done, for about 10 mins. Season it with additional salt and pepper if you want.
Allow it to sit for 30 mins before serving so that the seasonings meld well with each other. This is one of those dishes that tastes better the longer after its cooked (in my opinion). Enjoy!